Science is a systematic investigation of the physical, chemical and biological aspects of the world which relies on first hand experiences and on other sources of information. The scientific process and pupils’ problem solving activities will be used to deepen their understanding of the concepts involved. The main aspects of science to be studied will be determined by the programmes of study of the National Curriculum.
At Hamstreet Primary Academy topic themes are used to explore science work related to the real world and everyday examples will be used to:
- Develop pupils’ enjoyment and interest in science and an appreciation of its contribution to all aspects of everyday life.
- Build on pupils’ curiosity and sense of awe of the natural world
- Use a planned range of investigations and practical activities to give pupils a greater understanding of the concepts and knowledge of science.
- Introduce pupils to the language and vocabulary of science.
- Develop pupils’ basic practical skills and their ability to make accurate and appropriate measurements.
- Develop pupils’ use of information and communication technology (ICT) in their science studies.